(Position is based in the town of Fungurume, approx. 180km west of the Katanga capitol of Lubumbashi. Travel to Lubumbashi and Kinshasa as needed.) Summary
Manage all aspects of tailings impoundment construction. Under limited supervision, plan, organize, manage and evaluate assigned operations, including but not limited to, daily production, product quality, environmental management, safety, or maintenance. Essential Functions
- Manage and coordinate all activities related to the construction of a major tailings impoundment, including earthwork and civil contractors, consultants, and engineers of record (EoR).
- Establish tactical and strategic goals, objectives, policies and procedures in assigned area within the business.
- Direct supervisors and other staff in daily operations. Inspect daily operations and projects in progress and upon completion to ensure quality of work. Provide administrative and technical direction to staff; interpret policies and procedures established by regulatory agencies.
- Oversee and recommend the selection of key staff. Participate in the selection of staff.
- Work with employees to correct deficiencies. Implement disciplinary procedures and recommend terminations, when necessary. Investigate complaints and recommend corrective action as necessary.
- Forecast necessary funds for staffing, materials and supplies, and capital improvement projects. Submit budget recommendations and justifications; monitor and control expenditures.
- Develop, plan, and coordinate the work plan for assigned projects and responsibilities, which may include project management, cost estimates and program development. Coordinate work with other units and site departments.
- Provide information and resources to site officials and other departments. Answer questions and provide information to the public.
- Review capital improvement plans and make recommendations. Evaluate infrastructure, facilities and operating systems for needed maintenance and repair.
- Coordinate and participate in inspections including those by:
- Corporate geotechnical and water management team
- Technical Review Board
- Engineer of Record (EoR)
- Government agencies, as applicable
- Perform other duties as required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Competencies
- Proven ability to manage complex capital projects related to tailings construction or similar work.
- Ethical conduct
- Financial management
- Technical capacity
- Business acumen
- Communication proficiency
- Problem solving/analysis
- Strategic thinking
This position has supervisory responsibilities. Work Environment
Position involves work to be predominantly executed in rural areas of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Resources can be limited, so the candidate must be a self-starter and have good personal organization skills for managing activities across multiple sites and in challenging circumstances
Work is in a mine or processing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to 15 kilograms during the course of the workday
Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
CMOC Overseas Recruiting Ltd ("CORe") promotes a drug/ alcohol free work environment using mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable company standards.
CORE has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs include tasks or duties that could affect the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Positions within CORe which are held by employees who receive safety training; or
- Positions within CORe which are held by employees who operate equipment or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing their CORe job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel).
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Must be able to frequently sit, stand and walk
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry up to ten (10) pounds
- CORe promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable Laws
International business travel will be required less than 10% of the total work time.