place Democratic Republic of the Congo
Fixed term | 6 months | ASAP
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
We go the last mile: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. With a team of 4,600 national staff 400 international staff, ACTED is active in 37 countries and implements more than 500 projects a year reaching over 14 million beneficiaries.
ACTED Democratic Republic of the Congo
ACTED has been working in the Democratic Republic of Congo since 2003 to respond to humanitarian needs throughout the country. ACTED teams intervene in emergency situations towards the most vulnerable populations and displaced people in order to meet their basic needs. The NGO goes beyond emergency aid and implements long-term activities such as rehabilitation works, agricultural recovery projects or the geographic information systems. Through these, ACTED seeks to strengthen the resilience of populations and to support the structuring of civil society.
The Environmental Safeguarding Officer fulfils the role of the focal point for the environmental compliance agenda of ACTED DRC and more broadly within ACTED. The main task of the ESO is to support the effective implementation of ACTED’s environmental policy in the DRC; ensure that environmental safeguarding measures are built in ACTED’ global systems and procedures based on pilots and experiences gained by the ACTED DRC mission; report the environmental risks to management, assess the overall environmental performance. The ESO reports to the ACTED DRC Country Director with a functional link to the ACTED Vice CEO Programmes, Accountability and Impact for organizational level environmental safeguarding systems and procedures.
It is expected that the ESO will work 50% of his/her time on DRC specific environmental safeguarding aspects and the other 50% on organizational-level procedures and processes.
You will be in charge of
1.Carbon Footprint Reporting and Follow-up
- Oversee and support the implementation of the monthly carbon footprint reporting process, ensuring that technical quality and standards are considered and respected
- Identify improvements for the data collection process and develop tools for better/improved data collection that could be potentially rolled out globally
2. Greening of ACTED’s Programming
- Develop an overall strategy, systems, approaches, tools, and materials for “green programming”
- Based on data from the carbon footprint, draft clear recommendations for carbon emission reductions per department and support their implementation, while ensuring proper budget utilization and target achievements
- Develop a simple methodology and tool to assess in a quick and efficient manner the environmental impact of ACTED’s programming for potential replication and global roll-out
- Propose minimum environmental programming standards, per sector and type of intervention, in accordance with relevant ACTED technical guidelines and standards
- Explore innovative green programming opportunities and/or solutions, e.g. related to carbon credits, offsetting schemes, etc.
- Act as focal point for country programmes for organisational – institutional level of compliance with environmental requirements and standards
- Ensure lessons learned are documented, shared and reflected in project planning and decision making
- Provide an overall support function on environmental issues to ACTED missions in the region and beyond
- Promote and advocate for the use of existing guidelines and guidance materials on environmental programming both among ACTED staff in DRC as well as more widely within the organization
- Support the Preparation of the annual Environmental Progress Report
3. Networking, Positioning and Fundraising
- Prepare an inventory of current ACTED capacity in the area of environment programming
- At the local and global level, identify key partners / stakeholders working on environmental issues and establish potential collaboration mechanisms
- Identify opportunities to collaborate and coordinate efforts with other organizations to ensure our activities build upon – rather than replicate – the work of others
- Draft internal and external position papers on greening ACTED’s programming as well as on environmental programming more generally
- In close cooperation with the Grant Management Unit, monitor donors’ conditions in income contracts as well as proposals
- Assist with due-diligence processes such as Green Climate Fund, DFID environmental KPI ́s, GAC, ESMS, etc.
- Where relevant, liaise with donors and work closely with partners
4.Awareness Raising, Training and Capacity Building
- Together with the Communication Department, manage internal communication on ACTED’s environmental agenda using various channels of internal communication
- Plan and facilitate training/briefing sessions/workshops/e-learning on key environmental concerns, potential hazards and their impacts, available tools, guidance and services for integration of environmental issues to ACTED staff
- Participate in environmental conferences/climate workshops – external as well as internal
- Perform any other related activities as assigned by line manager
Expected skills and qualifications
- At least Bachelor’s degree in environmental management, environmental sciences or relevant field
- At least 2 years’ of relevant work experience in private, public or NGO sector related to safeguard’s assessment, environmental sustainability, biodiversity conservations and management, project implementation and capacity building
- Experience in the humanitarian and/or development sector is required
- Oral and written professional proficiency in English and French required
- Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid depending on education level, expertise, security level and experience
- Living allowance of 300 USD
- Lodging and food provided in the ACTED Guesthouse / or housing allowance (depending on the contract lenght and country of assignement)
- Flight tickets in and out + Visa taken in charge by ACTED
- Provision of medical and repatriation insurances